Monday, September 10, 2012

Old Habits Die Hard

So this week was a bit more of a struggle.  If you'd asked me 2 weeks ago what I'd have trouble with in this whole deal, I'm certain I'd have said eliminating the carbs.  The reality is that has been the easy part.  As far as the diet goes, the only real issues I've had this week was actually eating as many times as I'm supposed to eat to help build up my metabolism and avoiding temptation when out and about.   Towards the end of last week (Week 2), I allowed myself to eat lunch at a local sit-down restaurant.  It was a good experience as I was able to food I like but still keep to the plan. It was also good as I avoided temptation to eat food that was far from being on the diet.  The sad part is that I couldn't remember the last time prior to that that I'd gone more than a week without eating food from a restaurant.  Frankly, in retrospect that is a pretty embarrassing revelation.  It's amazing how big an impact removing those types of things can have on a person.  But like everything else, little things can add up quickly.

The real struggle for me was continuing to maintain the exercise regimen. I'm generally a morning workout type guy, but I had a lot of trouble dragging my butt out of bed last week.  This was complicated by a minor health issue and some less than ideal weather, so I didn't get out nearly as much as I should have.

Studies show that on average it takes a person 66 days to form a habit.  If I let myself to slide it will become a habit I can't afford if I really want to see this whole thing through to the end.  So no excuses.  I have to get better, work harder and just keep going.  This week is a new week and it is mine to dominate. I just have to keep fighting.  I have to make getting fit a new and continuing habit.

My Weekly Stats:
Starting weight:             304lbs  
Weight at last update:    298lbs  (-6lbs overall)
Current weight:              291lbs  (-13lbs overall)
Exercise completed:      3mi walking,
                                       3.4mi run/walking
Other notes:  On a lighter note, while I didn't do as much cardio as I would've liked this week, I did have a little bit of fun dusting off the Wii Fit.  I did some rhythm boxing and some other light/short cardio games, but the big surprise was that I did some of the yoga for the first time and actually kind of liked it.  I was amazed how much it helped me with my posture and some chronic low-grade back pain I've had.  So I'm thinking it may actually get incorporated into my weekly workout regimen.  I've got to say that I probably would have never guessed that one.   Oh, and for anyone who has ever golfed with me, Wii Fit thinks I could be a professional golfer.  BWAHAHAHA!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment