Sunday, September 2, 2012

Week 1: What have I gotten myself into?

Okay, so I've decided to lose weight and begin training for a triathlon. 

 Right.  That sentence sounds so simple.  Like everyone does it.

So, where to start?

After contemplating this question for a short while, my brain fixated upon a four letter word.  Decorum prohibits me from posting that first word which came to mind, but thankfully my brain quickly came up with a second, more helpful and less colorful four letter word: Diet.   There was no way I was going to complete a half-marathon as a 300lb, out of shape competitor, let alone finish a triathlon. I needed to lose the baby weight, turn my keg of a beer gut into a six pack, drop the full-sized spare tire for a donut-sized one.  Mmmm, donut.  This was not going to be easy.   I needed a plan.

Recently I had incurred some abnormal pain in my shoulder/neck region.  After 2 days of toughing it out, I put aside the machismo and went to the doctor.  Of course, worked into the duration of said appointment, my svelte Latino doctor felt the need to point out not only had my weight gone up, but that I was at my heaviest point in our entire patient/doctor relationship. This didn't surprise me.  He told me I needed to exercise, at least 30 minutes every day.  Frankly, this was not a surprise to me either..  What did surprise me was his next suggestion:  Limit carbohydrates.  Significantly.  Period.  This was a change-up pitch from my by-the-book doc. 

Enter the South Beach Diet.  This seemed to me the best possible diet as it allows for meat, nuts and perhaps most importantly, cheese, all things I really like, while portioning and controlling the carbs.  It also doesn't actually mean ridding oneself of carbs like some other diet plans, just adjusting and limiting that they come primarily in the form of "good carbs," such as vegetables and whole grains. Thankfully for me, I've always been a big fan of vegetables as well.    After talking it over with my significant other, we both decided it was something we both wanted to do.

So this past Monday it started and thus far the results have been fairly solid.  I've weighed myself 3 times this week and each time the weight was less. I'm at least back down under 300lbs.   Sure some of it is likely water weight, but it is a start and definitely a move in the right direction.  The first 2 weeks, so innocuously labeled "Phase1," is all about ridding one's self of simple carbs, sugars and cravings.  To me it read like this:  No pizza, chips, pretzels, pancakes, potatoes, chocolate and no beer.   Wait, what?  No beer for 2 whole weeks?  I new there would be sacrifice involved, but NO BEER? Oh the humanity! I guess I'll just have to saddle up and ride on.

Well, now it is Sunday, and while I'll say I haven't gone without cravings (chocolate chip cookies, salt and vinegar potato chips, and, of course, beer) I've gotta say it has been easier than expected.  Some days I'm struggling to even eat as much and as frequently as the diet plan guidelines recommend.  I've been tracking my eating and calorie intake and have stayed right in-line with my goals.  Exercising has seemed easier because I'm fueling my body with the right foods.   I even woke up this morning (a day off from training) and WANTED to go for a run.  Frankly, that is a first for me and a thought that makes me happy.  To me that is what this whole experience has got to be about:  Wanting to make changes.  Wanting to eat healthier. Wanting to get fit. Wanting to train for and run a triathlon.  Wanting to be a better me.  All I can do is stay committed and ask you all to stay tuned.

 For those of you kind enough to keep checking in, mark your calendars:  I'm planning on posting updates on Wednesdays and Sundays.   On Sundays I'm also planning to post some weekly stats about how the training is going and any achievements I might reach.  So below is the first installment of those updates.

 My Weekly Stats:
Starting weight:             304lbs   
Weight at last update:    304lbs  
Current weight:              298lbs
Exercise completed:      5mi walking,
                                       10.9mi cycling (stationary bike),
                                       1.58mi run/walking
Other notes:  I registered for my first 5k, The Fox Chase 5k, which is a mere 2 weeks away.  I'm going to run as much of it as I can and walk the rest.   Go team!


2 comments:

  1. Mike, we are proud of you! It's not easy, but the beginning is always the hardest. Sending love and strength from WA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I missed the first post when it went up. Congrats, man! I TOTALLY support you guys.

    A very good friend of mine from high school, Marty, has taken a similar path as you're starting now. He was a big guy with motivation to make lasting change, went on a strict diet to start (for him it was Atkins) and now he competes in triathalons and coaches folks looking to do the same. He has a website: http://pointyhelmetcoaching.com/ and if you have any questions about how to get started, gear, technique, I'm sure he'd be happy to help, especially if you tell him you're a friend of mine. He's been helping me gear up for my biking, and I'm really loving it.

    When you get to the point that you're ready to work on the two-wheels part of training, I'd be happy to keep you company on the trail and let you know all about the good spots I've found. If you need gear, I can also recommend a couple of shops that have been super helpful.

    Rock on!

    ReplyDelete